Remember that carpet is made up of different materials, and carpets and rugs with natural fibers or dyes may require special treatment. Always follow the care instructions provided by the carpet manufacturer. That said, here are some tips to keep in mind when trying to clean up a spill before calling a professional to complete stain removal:
- Don’t delay! Acting quickly will help keep the stain from setting into the carpet, making it harder to remove.
- Using a white paper towel, gently blot the spill to soak up excess moisture. Don’t push too hard and don’t rub the stain. Doing this will drive the liquid further down into the carpet.
- Depending on what caused the stain, you may need to use a butter knife or comb to remove any solid pieces that may be in the stain.
- Never use a circular motion when attempting to remove stains, as it can destroy the texture of the carpet.
- Having us apply carpet protectant during regularly scheduled carpet cleanings. Carpet protectant will prevent stains from setting, making them easier to remove.
- Call our office at (636) 680-5555 as soon as possible. Be prepared to tell us the source of the stain and when it happened, so that we can prepare our technicians to do the best job possible. Time is of the essence.