School will be out for the year soon... And that usually means a summer getaway or two. So whether you’re planning for quick weekend retreat or a weeklong stay at the beach, we’ve compiled a 16-point check list to help you get your house in order before heading out the door for that much-needed break.
1. While you’re washing clothes to pack for your trip, go ahead and do all the laundry and put away any clean clothes you’re not taking with you. You’ll be glad you did when you get back home with a suitcase full of dirty clothes!
2. LaJolla Mom recommends adding 1/2 cup of chlorine to the toilet bowl to prevent the ring that sometimes occurs from standing water. Love this tip! We’ve also heard that baking soda works, too!
3. Make arrangements for pets and plants to be cared for by a family member or trusted friend/neighbor.
4. Run the dishwasher – coming home to a sink filled with dirty dishes is no fun.
5. Wipe down kitchen and bathroom counter tops - crumbs left behind are an invitation for ants and flies to take up residence while you’re away.
6. Take out trash and place clean liners in all trash cans – you don’t want to come home to a house that smells of old trash!
7. Clean out the fridge – use up or throw out anything that might go bad while you’re away.
8. Do a quick sweep and vacuum if you have time.
9. Set the thermostat to a temp that is less comfortable but still protects your pets and plants.
10. Here's a great tip from The Retreat In Laguna: Unplug any electronics and garage door openers. This will cut down on any possible shortages, which can cause disastrous fires and prevent thieves from easy access through the garage door.
11. Put fresh sheets on all the beds so that you can climb into a clean, cozy bed after traveling.
12. Include a trash bag in each traveler’s suitcase for dirty clothes. This way, when you get back home, trash bags filled with dirty clothes can be dumped in the laundry room, and clean clothes can be put away.
13. Brightnest recommends turning off your hot water heater. An empty house doesn’t need hot water, and your water heater will cost you money while you’re gone.
14. Stop your mail and newspaper delivery service or ask a trusted neighbor to pick these up for you.
15. Turn off the automatic icemaker. We’ve heard several stories from clients about an icemaker that leaked while homeowners were out of town, causing major damage to flooring and subfloors.
16. And last but not least, from the Life as Mom blog: Double check that all your bills due while away have been paid or are scheduled to be paid. An absolute must – thanks for the reminder!
That’s it – set the alarm and you’re on your way! Have a wonderful, relaxing vacation –they’ll be plenty to do once you get home. Has it been more than six months since you’ve had your carpets professionally cleaned? Why not give yourself a break and let the pros handle the tough jobs for you? Schedule a professional carpet cleaning today!
Valentine's Day has come and gone. But there's no reason you can't continue to show yourself a little love. And the best way to do that is by making your life just a little bit easier. These 12 life hacks might not make you instantly skinny or rich, but they might save you a little time or make life just a little less messy, and who couldn’t use that, right?
Your mattress is a big investment, and should buy you many years of sweet dreams. But sleeping on it night after night, year after year can take a toll, which is why it’s so important to take good care of it. Here are 7 mattress cleaning tips to help you get the most out of your investment:
Most homeowners think to schedule a professional carpet cleaning at a few key times, like right before putting their house on the market or just before all the relatives head over to celebrate the holidays. But there are many other times that you probably haven’t considered. Here are eight more reasons it might be time to take advantage of a professional carpet cleaning: