You’ve found the perfect home, all the paperwork is signed, the movers are scheduled and the last box has been taped up and marked. If you’ve purchased a previously owned home, there are some things you’ll want to do before you begin unpacking. Follow this checklist of seven expert tips we’ve curated to help you turn that house into your new home.
1. Change the locks on all exterior doors. As soon as the closing is over and you've been handed the keys to your new home, either buy and install new lock sets or have a locksmith switch them out. Remember that in addition to the previous owners, Realtors, maintenance personnel, inspection companies and various other companies and service providers are all likely to have keys to your house. Installing new locks will provide some peace of mind and ensure that this is house is truly your home.
2. The folks at Houzz suggest that new homeowners Install new switch plates. Many older houses, especially those that have undergone renovations, will have mismatched outlets, dirty or discolored cover plates, and rusted or damaged air vent covers.
3. Have the heating and cooling systems cleaned and serviced, and purchase a service contract so if the system stops working in the depths of winter, you won’t have to overpay to get a technician to come to your home. This is also a good time to have your air ducts cleaned.
4. Lifehacker recommends you have the carpets professionally cleaned. We couldn’t agree more! Now is the perfect time; without any furniture to move the process is much faster and you’ll be able to move your own pieces into a space that you know has been deep cleaned by professional technicians. Spectrum is licensed, insured, IICRC-certified and CRI-approved. Give us a call at 636.680.5555 to find out about our reasonable rates and professional guarantee!
5. This is also a perfect time to hire a cleaning service to clean out all the kitchen cabinets, wipe down closet shelving and give a good scrub to all the bathrooms.
6. If your are moving into an apartment or home where you’re taking over appliances from a previous owner, Apartment Therapy recommends that you clean out and disinfect the fridge.
7. Apartment therapy also recommends that you replace the toilets seats in all the bathrooms. A great tip!
Anything you’d add to our list? We’d love to hear from you! And if we can help you get your new home move-in ready, please give us a call or fill out our contact form – we look forward to serving you!