Graduations, Mother’s Day, 4th of July… Summer gives us so many reasons to celebrate! It also gives us a dozen reasons to get our homes in top shape. Here are 12 home maintenance tips to help you get your home into shape for those carefree days of summer.
1. Give Your A/C a Tune Up. Having you’re A/C tuned up is as important as tuning up your car. If you’ve got a service agreement, have them come out and check that everything is in good working order. And be sure to change your filter monthly.
2. Clean The Gutters. Spring showers bring lots of debris into the gutters. Be sure to have them cleaned out so that rainwater can flow freely through gutters all summer long.
3. Have Your Roof inspected. Some of those spring storms were pretty severe and might have done some real damage where you can’t see.
4. Check your Windows. Replace any broken glass, caulk open areas and use a toothbrush or small paintbrush to clean the hard to reach corners.
5. Power Wash the exterior of your home. Remove all the mildew, dust and pollen from the past three seasons and your house will look like new…. or at least like you’ve just repainted!
6. Analyze Your Deck. Replace any loose or rotting boards and determine whether this is the year to reseal the wood. Sprinkle some water on the deck boards. If the water beads up, you’re good for another year. If it soaks right in, it’s time to reseal.
7. Wash the Windows. You’ve probably done a fine job of washing the inside of your windows, but now that the weather has turned, it’s time to get the outside clean! Home stores such as Lowe’s and Home Depot carry outdoor window washes that can be hooked up to your hose for hard to reach, second-story windows.
8. Mulch Up! Add a fresh layer of mulch to your landscaping to keep weeds down and help retain moisture as the summer heat turns up.
9. Add Another Doormat. Keep summer’s mud and grime outside by adding another doormat to your main entry. Use a coarse mat on the exterior and a softer, cloth mat on the inside of the door to catch the most dirt. For the most effective approach, add a shoe rack near the exterior door to remind family and visitors that you have a “no shoes” policy inside your home.
10. Start With Fresh Carpet. Once you’ve got your rule in place, have your carpets professionally cleaned. Spectrum’s technicians employ a unique process that focuses on loosening soil that has chemically bonded with your carpet fibers, weighing them down and resulting in a dark, flat appearance. We are licensed, insured, IICRC-Certified and CRI-approved and have been providing outstanding carpet cleaning services in the greater St. Louis area for more that 27 years! Visit us online or give us a call today at 636-680-5555 to schedule an appointment.
11. Check Recreational Equipment. Grills should be cleaned and serviced to ensure they’re ready for constant use. And if you have a pool, now is the time to have it professionally cleaned and all the filters and parts checked to ensure they are properly maintained and ready for use!
12. Inspect Hoses and Patio Furniture. If you were diligent last fall, you brought all of this equipment into a storage shed, or covered it before cold weather hit. Now is the time to pull it back out, dust it off and set it up for summer. Check your hoses for cracks, and be sure your furniture is in good shape. Cushions can be washed with a simple solution of warm soapy water.
Now that your home is all set, it's time to sit back and enjoy the nice weather. At least until it's time to mow the lawn again...!